Howard Stern: I’m Canceling Disney+ After Jimmy Kimmel Suspension

"I’m trying to say with the pocketbook that I do not support what they’re doing with Jimmy.”

Date:

Reactions to ABC’s suspension of Jimmy Kimmel continue to pour in. Howard Stern shared his response on Monday, saying he’s voting with his wallet.

During The Howard Stern Show, the SiriusXM host argued that the decision by ABC and Disney to remove Kimmel’s late-night show indefinitely wasn’t an acceptable decision.

- Advertisement -

“Someone’s gotta step up and be f—ing saying, ‘Hey, enough. We’re not gonna bow,’ Stern said Monday morning. “Now it might sound stupid, but the thing I did this morning, I’m canceling my Disney+. I’m trying to say with the pocketbook that I do not support what they’re doing with Jimmy.”

Stern continued by noting that he had been in touch with Kimmel to ask him how he was doing personally amid the firestorm.

Stern, who has famously feuded with the FCC several times during his long media tenure, believed that the threats from FCC chair Brendan Carr — which came before Kimmel’s suspension was announced — is a bridge too far.

“I just know when government says, ‘I’m not pleased with you, so we’re gonna orchestrate a way to silence you,’ it’s the wrong direction for our country,” Stern concluded. “And I should know, I’ve been involved in something like this. And now ABC is put in the same position, and it’s unfortunate that ABC even has to be in this position. They shouldn’t have to be in this position. I feel for them too, in this.”

Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. To stay updated, sign up for our newsletters and get the latest information delivered straight to your inbox.

- Advertisement -
Barrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio Summit

Popular