Bally Sports North Still Negotiating for 2024 Minnesota Twins Rights

Date:

The Minnesota Twins are working on making sure their games remain on Bally Sports North in 2024, but there’s no telling at the moment as to whether that will be the case.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the team in the week leading up to Christmas has been in negotiations with Diamond Sports Group about retaining local broadcast rights for next season.

- Advertisement -

The contract between DSG and the Twins expired at the end of this past season, but there been signs from the bankrupt company that it would like to continue serving the team and its media market.

Still, the Star-Tribune report indicated that the company’s offer in terms of rights fees is lower than what it paid previously. The Twins received more than $54 million from Diamond Sports Group for the 2023 season.

The bankruptcy judge overseeing DSG’s proceedings will likely issue a ruling on January 10 as to whether or not the company can move forward with its commitments to continuing to broadcast MLB games. Diamond Sports Group has already committed to carrying games for nine teams.

Sources told the Star-Tribune that the January hearing is the unofficial deadline for the Twins to figure out a plan for local broadcasts in 2024. MLB stands prepared to help teams displaced by the Diamond Sports saga, with the team potentially taking on the endeavor themselves. An announcement about what the Twins will be doing is expected not long after the hearing.

“We want to get started on the planning (for 2024),” Twins TV play-by-play announcer Cory Provus said. “I want to know who I’m going to be working with, the technical crew, everything. We have some ideas about how it should look and sound this season, but you can’t get to work on it until you have your team in place.”

- Advertisement -
Barrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio Summit

Popular