ABC is taking its fight with the FCC to federal court over what it calls government retaliation. The Disney-owned network says the agency violated its First Amendment rights by targeting its broadcasts.
What We Know: ABC and parent company Disney filed the lawsuit Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The filing argues the FCC “has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts.” The lawsuit marks the latest escalation in an ongoing feud between the media company and the federal regulatory body. The dispute centers on the FCC’s decision to force early license renewals for eight ABC-owned stations. The agency also continues to scrutinize The View over its treatment of political candidates. ABC argues those actions threaten editorial independence and could pressure broadcasters to alter their coverage. Meanwhile, the company is seeking court intervention to halt the FCC’s actions. In an appearance on CNBC last week, Disney CEO Josh D’Amaro said the company will fight tooth and nail.
What They Said: “We’re very principled on this. We’re going to stand up to what we believe is journalistic integrity. And we’re not going to be told how to run that side of our business.” -Disney CEO Josh D’Amaro
What Remains Unclear: The FCC has not yet publicly responded to ABC’s lawsuit or its constitutional claims. The case will now test whether the agency’s licensing actions crossed the line from regulatory oversight into unconstitutional retaliation. The court also could determine whether ABC receives immediate relief while the broader dispute moves forward.
What It Means: ABC’s lawsuit significantly raises the stakes in its battle with FCC Chairman Brendan Carr and the Trump administration. More importantly, the case could establish a broader precedent for how federal regulators can interact with broadcasters over editorial decisions. ABC’s argument also puts press freedom and government influence over broadcast licenses at the center of the legal fight.
Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. Sign up for our newsletters to stay updated and get the latest information right in your inbox.

Garrett Searight is Barrett Media’s News Editor, which includes writing daily news stories, features, and opinion columns. He joined Barrett Media in 2022 after a decade leading several radio brands in several formats, as well as a 5-year stint working in local television. In addition to his work with Barrett Media, he is a radio and TV play-by-play broadcaster. Reach out to him at Garrett@BarrettMedia.com.

