Shannon Sharpe Regrets Timing of His ESPN Dismissal

"They did what they felt they needed to do, and I'm at peace with that"

Date:

Shannon Sharpe broke his silence last night that he will not be returning to ESPN, just months after stepping away from the network as a featured personality on First Take. The network decided to cut Sharpe just weeks following a civil lawsuit filed against former NFL tight end Shannon Sharpe being settled outside of court.

In a personal message to fans on his NightCap podcast Wednesday evening, Sharpe said he learned of ESPN’s decision earlier in the week and had hoped for a delay in making the news public to avoid overshadowing a major moment for his family. His brother, Sterling Sharpe, is being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as part of the 2025 class this weekend.

- Advertisement -

“I really wanted it to be about him, and I wanted it to be about my family” Sharpe said in a video shared online. “I know this coming out would overshadow everything that he’s worked his entire life for, and unfortunately it didn’t happen that way.”

Sharpe spoke emotionally about the moment, expressing gratitude to his brother and to the audience that has followed him across multiple platforms throughout his post-playing career.

“[Sterling] said, ‘Bro, stop apologizing. You don’t have to apologize. I’m your big bro. I’m going to love you regardless,’” Sharpe recounted. “So bro, again, I know you told me I don’t have to apologize, but I’m going to do it one final time tonight.”

While Sharpe didn’t speak directly about the lawsuit, his comments suggested an understanding of ESPN’s decision.

“They did what they felt they needed to do, and I’m at peace with that,” he said. “I really enjoyed my time at ESPN. It gave me an opportunity to bring my audience that saw me, to let them see me grow.”

Sharpe joined ESPN in 2023 after leaving FS1’s Undisputed, where he had co-hosted alongside Skip Bayless. His presence on First Take quickly made an impact, with many praising the chemistry between Sharpe and Stephen A. Smith and the fresh perspective he brought to the show.

The Hall of Famer ended his statement with appreciation for fans who’ve supported him throughout his media journey — from Undisputed to Club Shay Shay, and most recently, ESPN.

“Thank you to all my fans for supporting me,” Sharpe said.

No formal statement has yet been issued by ESPN regarding Sharpe’s exit.

Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. To stay updated, sign up for our newsletters and get the latest information delivered straight to your inbox.

- Advertisement -
Barrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio SummitBarrett Media Audio Summit

Popular