Pat McAfee, the former NFL punter turned sports media personality, is urging a swift resolution to the ongoing carriage dispute between The Walt Disney Company (who owns ESPN, the network McAfee’s show airs on) and YouTube TV. He’s calling the situation frustrating for fans and unnecessary for the networks involved.
“This ESPN YouTube TV thing is, like a real ‘you guys need to figure this s**t out type situation’ for sports fans,” McAfee said. “We [The Pat McAfee Show] were all kind of in agreement that that was going to get done before Monday Night Football.”
The dispute, which has left many fans unable to access ESPN content through YouTube TV. It has become a flashpoint for McAfee, who frequently comments on sports media business matters with candid, often blunt, observations.
McAfee also criticized the networks, including ESPN, for using on-air personalities to push viewers toward websites in attempts to influence the outcome of the carriage negotiations.
“We’re all done with it. Okay? Also, if you’re on TV, stop telling people to go to a website to save a multi-billion dollar deal,” McAfee said. “Nobody cares. There will be nothing that we say, or any website that will be visited that’ll get this thing done. Sports need each other. Need each other.”
He went on to note that such tactics, often framed as corporate strategy, only frustrate fans further.
“A lot of people saying ‘greedy corporations,’ yeah, need each other, especially with where sports are right now and we’re in the middle of it. Stop asking me to go to a website. Yeah, I don’t want to do that. So stop that. Doesn’t work at all. Reality of the world. All you’re doing is pissing everybody off even more. So, let’s just not do that,” exclaimed McAfee.
McAfee’s plea for cooperation extended beyond the networks’ marketing strategies, highlighting the broader role of sports as a cultural unifier.
“Let’s put our swords down. Let’s go and shake some hands over there. We need to be able to access this s**t easily. Sports are a unifier, man. Come on. We don’t want to hear about business bulls**t,” he said. “Now, granted. There is a lot of money being spent on a lot of things by both sides. Like a lot of money. Well, we got to survive. We got to survive.”
The dispute, which centers on carriage fees and contract terms. Leaves millions of YouTube TV subscribers without access to some of the most-watched sports and entertainment programming. It also underscores the growing tension between traditional content owners and digital distributors as streaming economics continue to reshape the media landscape.
Among the networks now dark on YouTube TV are ABC, ESPN, FX, Freeform, Disney Channel, National Geographic, and the ACC and SEC Networks. Spanish-language feeds including ESPN Deportes, Baby TV Español, and Nat Geo Mundo were also removed.
To offset the blackout. YouTube TV is offering subscribers a $20 credit if Disney channels remain unavailable “for an extended period of time.” Though it did not specify how long that period might last.
This marks the third time in two months YouTube TV has found itself at an impasse with a major media company. The service narrowly avoided blackouts in separate disputes with both Fox and NBCUniversal earlier this year. With each case ultimately ending in a last-minute deal.
Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. To stay updated, sign up for our newsletters and get the latest information delivered straight to your inbox.



