SacTown Sports midday host Matt George is pushing back hard against the NBA’s decision to investigate the Sacramento Kings, calling the scrutiny misplaced and driven by public pressure rather than facts.
George criticized the league’s focus on Sacramento amid what many around the NBA have labeled a widespread tanking issue. He argued the Kings are being unfairly singled out despite what he believes is a lack of evidence.
“It’s the Sacramento Kings that are being investigated,” George said. “It’s the Sacramento Kings that should be looked at. The Sacramento Kings that are being accused of one of the most blatant, obvious tank jobs in this season.”
With 3:15 remaining in the fourth quarter on Tuesday night, and Sacramento leading by a point, Kings guard Doug McDermott fouled Warriors guard Seth Curry, both of whom were nowhere near the ball. The result was two Curry free-throw attempts.
The play immediately accusations of an act of tanking to ensure Golden State would get to the line in an effort to retake the lead and, eventually, go on to win. ESPN’s Shams Charania reported Wednesday that the league now is looking into the play, with Sacramento claiming it was just a mistake by coach Doug Christie.
However, George suggested that narrative does not align with reality. He pointed to what he views as a broader trend across the league. With multiple teams making more deliberate efforts to position themselves for better draft lottery odds. At the center of George’s criticism is NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. George accused Silver of reacting primarily to external pressure rather than acting independently.
“The NBA is taking this [Charania] clip, this completely out-of-context clip, and now conducting their own investigation,” George said. “Apparently, Adam Silver doesn’t do anything unless there’s media heat and social media pressure behind it.”
The league has not publicly detailed the full scope of its review, but the investigation comes at a time when tanking has again become a prominent storyline late in the regular season. Still, George believes the NBA is overcomplicating a situation that could be resolved quickly with proper context.
“Here we are with this investigation that, in reality, should take 20 freaking minutes,” he said. “Watch a little bit of Sacramento Kings basketball and gather the context of what they’ve done and what they have not done over the last month and some change. While everybody else is choosing to sell their soul to the devil for draft lottery odds.”
The Kings have not issued a formal response to the investigation. Meanwhile, the NBA continues to monitor late-season competitive trends as it evaluates whether further action or policy adjustments are necessary.
Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. Sign up for our newsletters to stay updated and get the latest information right in your inbox.



