CBS News anchor Scott Pelley had the distinction of giving the commencement address at Wake Forest a couple of weeks ago. However, his remarks are making headlines this week as his network and the program 60 Minutes are under fire from the White House and the Trump administration. Following the resignation of 60 Minutes executive producer Bill Owens last month, Pelley addressed his departure on the long-standing program, saying that parent company Paramount “began to supervise our content in new ways” and that by Owens stepping down when he did proved “he was the right person to lead 60 Minutes all along.”
Moreover, Pelley built on the premise of journalism being under scrutiny. In his remarks at Wake Forest, he emphasized that the practice itself is under attack.
“In this moment, this moment this morning, our sacred rule of law is under attack. Journalism is under a attack. Universities are under attack, freedom of speech is under attack,” said Pelley. “If our government is, in Lincoln’s phrase, of the people, by the people for the people, then why are we afraid to speak?”
Meanwhile, Paramount, the parent company of CBS News, is in the midst of attempting to merge with Skydance Media, which needs approval from FCC chairman Brenden Carr, a Trump appointee. Furthermore, Trump has launched a $20 billion lawsuit against what he alleges is selective editing for a 60 Minutes interview the program featured with former Vice President Kamala Harris in the run-up to the 2024 presidential election.
In addition, Pelley’s speech, which took place last Monday, stressed the importance of engaging with those who disagree with you, but also listening above all.
“As a reporter, I’ve learned to respect opinions. Reasonable people differ about the life of our country. And America works well when we listen to those that we disagree with, where we listen to those we disagree with and have common ground and compromise. One thing we can all agree on, one thing at least, America is at her best when everyone is included,” said Pelley.
“To move forward, we debate, not demonize. We discuss, not destroy.”
Notably, the Trump administration has already filed lawsuits against CBS News and ABC News. In addition, it has signed executive orders to cut funding to PBS and NPR. On Tuesday morning, NPR and three public radio outlets in Colorado filed suit against Trump’s executive order, claiming it violates the will of Congress and the First Amendment.
Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. To stay updated, sign up for our newsletters and get the latest information delivered straight to your inbox.



