Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy is no stranger to a public negotiation when it comes to recruiting, keeping, and removing talent from the Barstool brand. The company created and lives in an always-on type of content model where even the behind-the-scenes of the company is considered content that their massive digital audience flocks to.
Recently, Portnoy was a guest on Club Shay Shay, hosted by Shannon Sharpe. While discussing how he negotiates deals with the top stars of the company, the topic of how much Portnoy pays his talent was brought up.
“We pay as good as any media company,” said Portnoy. “And I mean, while I’m dealing they’re crying, popping bottles with how much they’re making. Alex got 60. McAfee is making 10s. We pay. That’s the biggest misnomer in the world.”
Afterward, the conversation shifted as Sharpe mentioned he’s a free agent when it comes to being signed, which led to the following back-and-forth.
“We pay,” said Portnoy.
“Pay pay,” questioned Sharpe.
“I mean, you’re huge,” Portnoy said to Sharpe.
“I’m a free agent,” responded Sharpe. “Dave, I’m just throwing it out there. We don’t have to negotiate publicly, but I’m just saying I’m free.”
Portnoy then questioned when Sharpe was to become a free agent, to which Sharpe asked Portnoy when he wanted him to be free.
“I’m free. No parole, no probation. Free free,” said Sharpe.
Just last month, Front Office Sports reported that Sharpe’s contract with The Volume is up, and the former NFL tight end has received multiple offers. Moreover, the outlet reported that Sharpe is looking to sign a deal that would exceed $100 million dollars.
“You’re probably very expensive right now,” explained Portnoy. “Our model generally, is the reverse. We find the guys, build them up, and they leave. As opposed to getting them at the top, because you pay the premium. You coming to us, for example, we’re not going to make you bigger.”
He continued by saying, “Our secret sauce is if you’re talented we will make you huge. But you’d be good on our networks.”
In addition, the report surrounding Sharpe’s agreement with The Volume came just days before Sharpe found himself embroiled in a civil lawsuit filed by a woman who claims that the former NFL star sexually assaulted, harassed, and committed battery against her. According to a lawsuit filed Sunday in Clark County, NV, the plaintiff, under the alias “Jane Doe,” said she was in a rocky relationship with Sharpe for nearly two years and is seeking $50 million dollars in damages.
Sharpe has denied the allegations through his lawyer and several posts on social media. Furthermore, according to the New York Post, Sharpe was in mediation with his accuser, with Sharpe’s lawyer, Lanny J. Davis, stating that his client was at least willing to settle for $10 million dollars. Following the allegations, Sharpe announced he would step down from his duties with ESPN on a temporary basis to focus more time on his family, and responding to and dealing with the allegations.
Barrett Media produces daily content on the music, news, and sports media industries. To stay updated, sign up for our newsletters and get the latest information delivered straight to your inbox.



